Advantages of Treadmill vs. Outside Walking
Using a treadmill for your regular workouts is a great way to burn calories and give basic training to your walking muscles and practice your walking form.
- Workout Programs: You may enjoy the pre-programmed workouts the treadmill offers to give you a controlled workout challenge. The treadmill may also have readouts for heart rate, calories burned, etc. which give you data feedback.
- More Speed = More Calories Burned: Most people set their treadmill workout for time rather than for distance, and can often go faster on a treadmill due to lack of obstacles. More speed = more distance for the same amount of time = more calories burned than if they walked outside for set distance rather than for time.
- Safety: If you don’t have access to a safe walking route, a treadmill is a good substitute.
- Weather: You can usually control the indoors weather, but never the outdoors weather.
- Easy access to restrooms, water, and changing your gear.
- Entertainment: Some of us are bored with treadmill walking, while others prefer watching TV or listening to their music indoors to walking outdoors.
- Fewer excuses: If your treadmill is always available, you can’t use excuses such as the weather, darkness, etc.