Sugar is an unnatural substance produced by industrial processes (mostly from sugar cane or sugar beets) by refining it down to pure sucrose, after stripping away all the vitamins, minerals, proteins, enzymes and other beneficial nutrients.
What is left is a concentrated unnatural substance which the human body is not able to handle, at least not in anywhere near the quantities that is now ingested in today’s accepted lifestyle. Sugar is addictive.
It has been said that the criteria as to whether a substance (any substance) is harmful or medically beneficial is the quantity in which it is used in the human body.
The biggest reason sugar does more damage than any other poison, drug or narcotic is the fat that it is considered a “food” and ingested in such massive quantities!
When we talk about sugar, we are including bad nutrition as a whole, since anyone who indulges in sugar has bad dietary habits per se.
Adverse affects of Sugar –
- Sugar is by far the leading cause of dental deterioration – cavities in teeth, bleeding gums, failure of bone structure, and loss of teeth.
- Sugar is the main cause of diabetes, hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia.
- It is either a significant or contributory cause of heart disease, arteriosclerosis, mental illness, depression, senility, hypertension, cancer.
- It has an extremely harmful effect in unbalancing the endocrine system and injuring its component glands such as the adrenal glands, pancreas and liver, causing the blood sugar level to fluctuate widely. It has a number of other extremely damaging effects on the human body.
Some of the other effects of sugar on the body are:
- Increases overgrowth of candida yeast organism
- Increases chronic fatigue
- Can trigger binge eating in those with bulima
- Increases PMS symptoms
- Increases hyperactivity in about 50% of children
- Increases tooth decay
- Increases anxiety and irritability
- Can increase or intensify symptoms of anxiety and panic in susceptible women
- Can make it difficult to lose weight because of constantly high insulin levels, which causes the body to store excess carbs as fat.
Aternative Solution :
One good alternative is an herb called Stevia. This product is sweeter than regular sugar without giving a false energy high. It also has even a nourishing effect on the body. A couple of other alternatives one can try, are agave syrup, rice syrup, date paste, fruit juice concentrates, and honey.
So the next time you add spoonfuls of sugar to add taste to your drink or food – remember what you just read in this article !