Know about Nakshatra or constellation or lunar mansions
A constellation is a group of stars which form a fixed pattern.
The zodiac according to Indian Astrology comprises of 360 degrees.
- There are 27 Nakshatras or constellations in it.
- Therefore, the value of each constellation is 13 degrees and 20 minutes when measured from the fixed initial point.
- These 27 Nakshatras(stars) complete the entire circle of 360 degrees of the zodiac.
- A forecast based on the transit/ correlation/inter – relation of planets in relation to the Nakshatras is more accurate than the results predicted on the basis of any other system.
Each Nakshatra or star that comes under Indian Astrology has an astronomical name associated with it and which is referred to by the Western Astrologers and Astronomers.
|14.||Chitra||Spica Virginis -Vegus|
Source of Constellation names
Constellation names, like the names of stars, come from a variety of sources and each has a different story and meaning to it.
Old constellations’ names usually come from Greek mythology, while the constellations created more recently were mostly named after scientific instruments and exotic animals. However, there are no strict rules because the stories of the constellations differ from one constellation to the next.
Constellation names that come from Greek mythology or refer to figures from Greek and Roman myths, as zodiac constellations do, are probably the ones that are best known. They were created and documented by the Greek astronomer Ptolemy in the 2nd century A.D.
Constellation names associated with figures from mythology were given to a number of prominent constellations.
These include most of the members of the
- Perseus family (Perseus, Andromeda, Cassiopeia, Cetus, Cepheus, Pegasus, and Auriga),
- Hercules family (Hercules, Sagitta, Aquila, Lyra, Cygnus, Hydra, Crater, Corvus, Ophiuchus, Serpens, Centaurus, Lupus, Corona Australis, and Ara),
- Orion family (Orion, Canis Major, Canis Minor, Lepus, Monoceros),
- Zodiac family (Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpius, Sagittarius, Capricornus, Aquarius, Pisces),
- Ursa Major family (Ursa Major, Ursa Minor, Draco, Canes Venatici, Boötes, and Corona Borealis).
source – Constellation Guide