HERS a nationally recognized program that is an objective, standardized evaluation of the energy efficiency of a home, compared to a simulated reference house (same size and shape as the rated home) that meets minimum energy code requirements. This is performed by a Certified third party Home Energy Rater.
Title 24 Energy Consultants should also be a member of California Home Energy Efficiency Rating Services (CHEERS). The certified home rating service covers the Orange County area which provides the project owner with a way to insure that quality installation of energy saving methods designed into their project are implemented properly.
In addition, the energy code has become more restrictive, forcing designers to look for ways to earn energy credits in order for their design to comply with the new 2008 California Title 24 energy code. HERS verification credits are going to play a major role in reaching and/or exceeding the 2008 California Title 24 energy code requirements.
HERS verifications are also a requirement when applying for SDG&E’s Advance Home Program which can qualify new homes for incentives ranging from $150.00 to $2,000.00. HERS verifications are also a requirement for ENERGY STAR homes, as well as qualifying for Federal Tax Credit Programs. Title 24 Energy Consultants should be ready to assist you with any of your residential title 24 energy code requirements.
Measures Requiring HERS Field Verification and Diagnostic Testing:
- Duct Sealing
- Supply Duct Location, Surface Area and R-Value
- Low Leakage Ducts in Conditioned Space
- Low Leakage Air Handlers
- Refrigerant Charge in Split System Air Conditioners and Heat Pumps
- Refrigerant Charge Indicator Display (CID)
- Verified Cooling Coil Airflow
- Air Handler Fan Watt Draw
- High Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER)
- Maximum Rated Total Cooling Capacity
- Evaporatively Cooled Condensers
- Ice Storage Air Conditioners
- Building Envelope Sealing
- High Quality Insulation Installation (QII)
- Quality Insulation Installation for Spray Polyurethane Foam
- PV Field Verification Protocol