This is an alternative system of medicine which treats ailments by insertion of needles at acupoints. It is a pleasant tingling sensation radiating along a specific direction. Needling produces subjective sensations like pain, numbness, soreness, heaviness and distension objective beneficial effects produced are:-
- Analgesia i.e. pain-relieving effects useful in variety of painful conditions.
- Sedation or calming effects useful in epilepsy, insomnia & mental disease like mania & anxiety states.
- Homeostasis or maintaining the normal balance of the body.
- Immunity improvement –better immunity & protection from infection.
Scientific basis of its effectiveness is based on Gate control of pain and production & release of pain relieving mediators called endorphins.
Acupuncture therapy for few basic health care needs are:
- Allergic rhinitis
- Lumbas and Cervical spondylitis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Buerges’s disease
Various Accupressure supporting health centers and health service providers use this therapy in the management of :
- Bronchial Asthma
- Obesity, Diabetes & B.P.
- Obstentric problems like unstable lie, premature labor, lobar analgesia
- Post operative pain relief
- Ear conditions like Tinnitus & vertigo
- Sports medicine
Facilities for acupuncture therapy are available at all major health centers and health departments in the pain clinics run for management of chronic pain. Specialized public health centers are also run by trained acupuncturists who provide treatment through this method.